This call-out has now passed.
At Catherine Wheels and Imaginate, we appreciate the importance of making work to tour into school and nursery settings, and would like to find ways to help further the development of freelancers and companies making work for school and nursery children in Scotland. We are therefore offering an opportunity in connection with Theatre in Schools Scotland, to visit Aprilfestival, a brilliant theatre and dance festival in Denmark.
Selected people will travel with a group of artists as well as Imaginate, Catherine Wheels and National Theatre of Scotland staff. You will:
- See international work in a school and community setting
- Meet international practitioners
- Spend time with peers from Scotland
There are four fully funded places available:
- Two places for artists or producers who are interested in developing and making work to present in Scottish schools. Funded by Imaginate.
- Two places for production staff (stage managers, technicians, production managers) interested in work which tours into schools. Funded by Catherine Wheels.
- The four places will be allocated by a panel of Imaginate and Catherine Wheels staff who have experience of work made for/with schools and schools touring.
Aprilfestival is one of the world’s largest festivals for children and young people, mainly presenting work in a school or community setting. The Festival’s aims are:
- To present Danish performing arts for young audiences
- Every year in a new area of Denmark.
- By giving every child in the festival area the opportunity to see at least one performance during the festival
- By making it possible for children and adults to experience theatre together.
- To create a cultural event with a focus on performing arts for children and young people
- By encouraging cultural initiatives in the municipality where the festival is held – e.g. by establishing new cultural networks and by raising awareness of performing arts for children and young people at a local political level.
- By enhancing the national focus on performing arts for young audiences.
- To raise awareness - and create spaces for networking and competence development
- By presenting Danish theatre to an international audience and allowing professional theatre artists from Denmark and abroad to meet.
- By presenting new Danish theatre productions to a wide range of promoters/organisers - national as well as international.
- By arranging meetings, seminars and conferences for promoters, artists and international guests.
Dates: 20 - 24 April 2023
- 20 April: Travel to Denmark – Edinburgh to Ebeltoft (Return flights Edinburgh to Billund, transfer by car to Ebeltoft)
21–23 April : Festival Industry programme - seeing performances, attending talks, networking
23 or 24 April: Travel back to Scotland – Ebeltoft to Edinburgh
Imaginate and Catherine Wheels will:
- Pay a fee of £550 per visit
- Book and pay for all Festival tickets including performances and industry events
- Arrange and pay for any return travel from your home base to the festival
- Pay a per diem of £40 per night, including any travel days
- Arrange and pay for any accommodation costs
- Cover access costs where needed
- The panel will meet the week of 13 March, you will know if you have been selected by Monday 20 March.
Who is it for?
This call-out is open to all freelancers who work in the young audiences sector and are based in Scotland. Priority will be given to those who have not visited an international festival with Imaginate or Catherine Wheels before.
If you have any access needs to enable you to take up this opportunity please include that information in your email so we can arrange that with you if you are selected. If you would like to talk more about this please contact Julian Almeida.
How to apply
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9 March 5pm (with Aprilfestival Visit 2023 as the subject title) telling us:
- Your experience of making and touring work into schools
- About you and your connection to/interest in theatre and dance for young audiences
- Your experience of seeing international performances for young audiences
- Why you would like to take part in this opportunity
You can write this in an email or if you would prefer to send your answers by film, including by BSL, just upload that to YouTube or Vimeo and send us a link.